Thursday, January 5, 2017

Drown It Out

Talk with me for just a few minutes to try to get to know me better, and you will quickly find out that I could not live without music. Just ask my parents. My attachment to headphones is probably slightly unhealthy. But I love music. I won't deny it for one second. Anywho, let's get off of that rabbit trail. Believe me...I could talk about music for days. It's the heart's voice and the spirit's universal language. Okay, I promise I'll stop for now.

On the other side of this personality survey spectrum study is my track record with storms. I have never liked them. But as I have matured, I realize they are nothing to be afraid of. What's a little lightning, eh?? Okay, it can be dangerous. But I've developed a sense of courage and appreciation that feels so good. God's got me, and I enjoy nature. But I won't lie. I have had some nerving moments when there's a tornado warning or such in our area. When the siren wails and lightening rips threw the sky. Eek! But even with those I've learned not to let it bother me too much. And it was precisely this past Monday that I discovered just where I place my value and how much I've conquered fear.

Typical of the Bowmans, we usually get around to putting up our Christmas decorations within days of New Years. The quicker the better in my opinion. But we are not here to argue this. Anyways, while my dad was taking a chunk out of getting the tree put up (yes we use an artificial one that's been in the family since I was two), I was busy doing some kitchen duty and laundry. Hey, somebody's got to do it. And while I was doing the laundry, it was storming like heck outside. Funny thing is, I never really knew it. Why? Yep, you guessed it. I had my headphones on. Man, I was having a good time dancing around the kitchen and sashaying around with the laundry. I then waltz through the living room and see my dad's lips moving. So, I stop and take my headphones off, and he proceeds to announce that the tornado siren is going off. With an expression of "Oh, well that's nice" gracing my now solemn expression, I replace my headphones and continue on with my chores. Now before you go thinking I was in denial, one thing you have to understand is that when our siren goes off, it doesn't necessarily mean a tornado is in our backyard. Most of the time, it's south of us. For some reason they feel need to invoke fear in us too. But I get it. They're just keeping folks safe.

As I proceeded with my afternoon, I began thinking about that moment and how the news had hardly fazed me. Sure I was a bit on edge after my dad told me that. But at the same time, all I wanted was to get back to my music and put a smile on my face as I got back into my zone. And the more I thought about it, the more I started thinking about how much we could learn from that. Moreover, I wondered just how much unnecessary worry we let creep into our lives and choke out our happiness every day. No, I'm not saying that you shouldn't heed the warnings of weather wisdom. But at the same time, why worry? And this applies to much more than just bad weather. When life throws things at you that you don't care for, choose joy. Choose happiness. Choose life. Choose to make the best of it. But most of all, drown out the negative with the positive. Tell yourself and your mind to look at the bright side. I know, it can be very hard. But it's all worth it to overcome our fears and worse case scenarios we numbly rehearse in our mind and discover that epiphany of divine comfort that can only come from God. For me, music hits that spot. So try it sometime. It may not be music for you. It may be something else. But you never know what awesome moments await you when you choose joy over fear. Believe me. It's worth it.

"...casting all your care upon Him; for He cares for you."  - 1 Peter 5:7

No comments:

Post a Comment